About the Great Lakes Region
The Great Lakes Region is committed to providing superior workplaces, expert solutions, acquisition plans, and management services - at best value - to help federal agencies serve the public more effectively.
In support of our customers' goals in 2012*, GSA's Great Lakes Region:
- Played an integral part in the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, completing 53 building renovation projects, while working on 10 others, investing more than $800 million.
- Managed 1,000 properties, totaling 35.7 million square feet of space; these include 56 historic buildings, 11 land ports of entry (border stations), 41 buildings with ENERGY STAR® designations, and 14 Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED® ) rated buildings.
- Maintained a collection of 95 pieces of fine art and 29 installed Art in Architecture works.
- Operated a fleet of 15,031 vehicles, 10,889 of which use alternative fuels.
- Outleased 84,798 square feet of vacant space to private businesses and the general public via 71 different lease agreements; these outleases added $2.67 million to the Federal Buildings Fund for use on building upkeep in 2012.
- Awarded 58% of its total regional contracting dollars to small businesses.
- Boasted outstanding tenant satisfaction with 76% reporting "more than satisfied" or above (a rating of four or higher on a five-point scale) on the 2012 GSA/Gallup Tenant Satisfaction Survey.
- Recycled 4,325 tons of waste in 2011, generating $813,000 in revenue, avoiding $717,000 in shipping/disposal costs, and diverting 55% of its waste from landfills.
- Donated $66 million worth of excess and surplus property to Federal and state agencies in 2012.
*Source: Fiscal Year 2012 Statistical Card for the GSA Great Lakes Region.