Water Management & Protection
Customers look to GSA to procure utilities that are both cost-effective and environmentally responsible. GSA is dedicated to water conservation and protection. Using creative solutions based on local and regional needs, GSA maintains a balance between customer needs and environmental responsibility.
This page offers links and procedures:
- to use water more efficiently,
- install water fixtures that require less water usage,
- employee native and drought tolerant plants in landscaping,
- what to do in the event of a water break,
- pollution prevention and water testing of our drinking water.
At the Denver Federal Center, GSA is committed to sustainable landscaping, and installing xeriscape in all new areas that are landscaped and/or renovated. The new designs include many xeric (drought-tolerant) plants and reduce lawn areas where possible.
GSA is commented to prevent water pollution, such as unlawful discharges into the sanitary sewer system, such as from broken pipes and cooling towers.
|World Water Day||March 22|
|World Water Monitoring Day||September 18|
|Sustainability and Environmental Management Program|
|Objectives||Reduce water use|
|Prevent unlawful discharges into the sanitary sewer system.|
|What to do in the event of a water break|
|Targets||Reduce water use by 2% per year or 16% by 2020. Baseline level for water usage is 2007|
Federal, State, and Local Policy and Regulations
- Department of Energy (DOE) Federal Energy Management Program (FEMP)
- Denver Water Board
- EPA WaterSense (external link)
- GSA-2003-PRA-015 Low Impact Sustainable Landscape Design [Word, 20KB]
- GSA 2.9 Sustainable Landscape Design
- GSA A.3 New Construction and Modernizations
Procedures and Forms
|Building Energy and Water Use||303KB||06/21/2012|
|Cross-Connection & Backflow Prevention||347KB||06/21/2012|
|Drinking Water-Lead Testing||171KB||05/16/2012|
|Grounds Maintenance - Water Use||262KB||06/20/2012|
|Indoor Water Intrusion||383KB||03/01/2013|
|Metering (Energy & Water)||242KB||07/25/2012|
|Sanitary Sewer Discharge||287KB||06/08/2012|
|Sustainability & High Performance Green Buildings (HPGB)||366KB||06/21/2012|