Howard M. Metzenbaum U.S. Courthouse
201 Superior Avenue E.
Cleveland, OH 44114
The Howard M. Metzenbaum U.S. Courthouse opened in 1910 as home to the U.S. Post Office, District Court, and Circuit Court. The building, originally known as the Old Federal Building and Post Office, was renamed in honor of U.S. Senator Howard Morton Metzenbaum on May 27, 1998.
Click on the following link to view a video highlighting the courthouse's construction history and artwork.
Current tenants include the U.S. Bankruptcy Court, District Court, Department of Agriculture, General Services Administration, Immigration & Customs Enforcement, and Trustees. In the latest (2010) GSA Tenant Satisfaction Survey, 95% of tenants indicated they were more than satisfied (four or five on a five-point scale) with the building and GSA services.
Property Manager: Leigh Mills
For more building information or service calls, contact the Ohio Service Center using the information in the top right box on this page. For general federal government information, call 1-800-FED-INFO.
Building Hours and Access The building is open to the public from 7 a.m.– 5 p.m. Monday through Friday (except federal holidays). The main entrance is located on Superior Avenue. All visitors must submit to security screening and present a valid identity card (such as a state driver's license or federal ID) when entering the building.
Parking and Public Transportation There are multiple public parking options in close proximity to the Metzenbaum Courthouse. Parking lots near the building charge $5–$13 per day.
The Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority provides public transportation throughout Cleveland and the surrounding suburbs. Bus stops are located just outside the courthouse on Superior and Rockwell avenues. Train stations are located a few blocks south of the courthouse at the Tower City Center.
Building Amenities The Courthouse Conference Room on the fifth floor accommodates up to 25 people. For reservations, contact the Ohio Service Center using the contact information provided in the upper right box on this page. A vending area is located on the sixth floor.
History and Architectural Features
The Metzenbaum U.S. Courthouse was the first building erected under Cleveland's 1903 Group Plan and serves as an anchor on the southwest corner of Cleveland's Civic Mall. New York architect Arnold W. Brunner designed the original Federal Building under the direction of James Knox Taylor, Supervising Architect of the U.S. Treasury Department. The building was constructed in the Neo-Classical style, which is exemplified by the 42-foot-tall Corinthian columns on all four facades. The courthouse also originally housed a U.S. post office and customhouse.
The building has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1974. The public lobby still contains many original features including chandeliers and marble-tiled floors, wall panels, and vaulted ceiling.
Awards and Certifications
- U.S. Green Building Council - Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design (LEED®) Existing Building Operation & Maintenance (EBOM) certification, January 2013
- Building Owners & Managers Association (BOMA) - 360 Performance Designation for excellence in building operations and maintenance, March 2011
- BOMA - Regional & International The Office Building of the Year (TOBY) Award - Government Building Category, 2010
- Greater Cleveland BOMA - Local TOBY Award - Government Building Category, 2008-2010
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - ENERGY STAR®, 2008
- American Institute of Architects (AIA) - Ohio Design Award - Honor Award, Interior Design, 2007
- Contract Magazine - Interiors Restoration Award, 2007
- U.S. Green Building Council - LEED® certification, New Construction (Renovation), 2007
- AIA Cleveland Historic Resources Committee - Preservation Award, 2006
- AIA Ohio Design Award - Renovation and Restoration, Merit Award, 2006
- Cleveland Restoration Society - Preservation Award, Trustees Award for Preservation Achievement, 2006
- GSA - Citation, Preservation Design Award, 2006
- AIA Cleveland - Design Honor Award, 2005
- Builders Exchange - Award for Craftsmanship, 2005
- Ohio Historic Preservation Office - Preservation Merit Award, 2005
- GSA - Environmental Award, Recycling Category, 2004
- GSA - Exemplary Construction Waste Management Process Award, 2004
The shortcut for this page is www.gsa.gov/metzenbaumct.