GSA Privacy Act Program
Note: The information on this page is intended to inform members of the public of GSA's privacy policies and practices as they apply to GSA employees, contractors, and clients.
CPO 1878.1 GSA Privacy Act Program
Outdated on: 10/27/2013
SUBJECT: GSA Privacy Act Program
1. Purpose: This order establishes the GSA Privacy Act Program website as the official vehicle for disseminating program policy and procedures. The GSA Privacy Program addresses information privacy and security issues, establishes GSA's privacy policies and procedures, provides guidance and direction on implementing program requirements, defines privacy related contracting requirements, and assigns responsibilities to ensure compliance with the Privacy Act of 1974, as amended, and other applicable laws and regulations.
2. Policy: Privacy protection is both a personal and fundamental right of individuals, including GSA associates, clients, and members of the public, whose personal information is collected, maintained, and used by GSA organizations to carry out agency mission and responsibilities and to provide services. It is the policy of GSA to safeguard personal information as mandated by law and regulation. The GSA Privacy Act Program institutes the privacy provisions that ensure the individual’s right to privacy.
3. Applicability: The GSA Privacy Act Program applies to all GSA Services, Staff Offices, and regional components; to all GSA associates who manage, acquire, maintain, disseminate, or use personal information protected by the Privacy Act of 1974; and to contractors, subcontractors, individual corporations, and other organizations that process or handle GSA-owned information. The Program also is of interest to all individuals, public and private, whose personal information GSA collects, maintains, and uses to carry out its mission and associated functions and services.
4. Cancellation: Instructional Letter CPO IL-03-1, Ensuring privacy and security of personal information in GSA, dated May 21, 2003, is canceled and its provisions are incorporated into the GSA Privacy Act Program requirements.
5. Explanation of format: The GSA Privacy Act Program is a web-based application, designed to facilitate information access and use through technology. The site can be located on GSA InSite under HR, Pay, and Leave/HR Policies and Resources or through this web site under GSA Privacy Program.
GAIL T. LOVELACE
Chief People Officer