GSA Global Supply Standards
GSA supports customers, the general public, operational elements, and management officials by developing policies and procedures for the:
- Federal Standardization Program;
- Index of Federal Specifications, Standards, and Commercial Item Descriptions Maintenance Program;
- GSA Shelf Life Program;
- GSA Metric Transition Program; and,
- GSA Value Engineering Program.
GSA is the primary point for issues related to standardization, packaging, and hazardous materials management. GSA is additionally responsible for:
- Maintaining the Federal Specification Reference System (FSRS);
- Controlling printing and distribution of Federal Product Descriptions (FPD's);
- Serving as the Civil agency/DoD interface for the DoD Index of Specifications and Standards and DoD Standardization Directory;
- Managing the FMR 102-27, Federal Product Descriptions; and,
- Interfacing with the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA).
GSA collaborates with professional and trade associations, manufacturers, voluntary standards organizations and government activities in the development and management of Federal Standardization policy and programs. In addition, GSA also prepares and maintains the Index of Federal Specifications, Standards, and Commercial Item Descriptions online and oversees/monitors the federal metric transition program.