Driving is our most dangerous daily activity. Car crashes are the number one cause of death in the U.S. for ages 1-44.
Drive Focused, Not Distracted - Driving while distracted multiplies the risk of crashing 3-23 times. Driver distraction injures almost 400,000 in the U.S. annually.
Three types of distracted driving:
- Manual - hands off the wheel
- Visual - eyes off road
- Cognitive - mind off the driving task
Texting while driving incorporates all three distraction types, and it increases your risk of crashing by 23 times, making it four times more dangerous than drunk driving.
Fleet Accident Prevention Tools
17-minute recorded presentation to share with your fellow agency drivers to learn:
- Regulations for government vehicles
- Driver behavior tips and facts
- Tools for managing accidents
- What to do in the event of an accident (forms and documentation)
Log into CRASH to run reports on your agency's or bureau’s vehicle accident data and find accident trends. CRASH reports contain the following details on all accidents and more:
- People involved, including third party, and fault assigned
- Claim amount, billed amount
- Accident type
- Repair estimates and cost
- Brochures, handouts, fact sheets
- Drive-Safe newsletters, labeled by topic
- Short, impacting video clips
- Power-point presentations with speaker notes ready to deliver
Note: Please click on the 'Driver Safety' icon in the navigational menu to access GSA's Driver Safety portal.
Am I bound by State and local traffic laws?
FMR 102-34.235: Yes. You must obey all motor vehicle traffic laws of the State and local jurisdiction, except when the duties of your position require otherwise. You are personally responsible if you violate State or local traffic laws. If you are fined or otherwise penalized for an offense you commit while performing your official duties, but which was not required as part of your official duties, payment is your personal responsibility.
What are the laws on cell phone use and texting in a GSA vehicle?
Find your state laws on cell phones and driving at iihs.org/laws.
Executive Order 13513 prohibits federal employees from texting when behind the wheel of a government vehicle or using a government cell phone.
What do I do if I am involved in an accident in a GSA Fleet vehicle?
Visit GSA’s Accident Management Center Page for all post-accident information.