GSA Program Saves Taxpayer Dollars by Reducing Price of Microsoft Software for Federal Government
November 20, 2013
WASHINGTON -- The General Services Administration (GSA) took another step forward today in increasing government efficiency and saving taxpayer dollars with its release of a request for quotation (RFQ) as part of the agency’s Federal Strategic Sourcing Initiative (FSSI). This FSSI program, called SmartBUY Large Publisher, will reduce prices for federal government purchases of Microsoft software. RFQ responses are due on December 18, 2013.
In the past, federal agencies have individually sourced Microsoft product offerings through a wide variety of acquisition vehicles. These Blanket Purchase Agreements will provide a single set of agreements with standardized terms and conditions, also enabling the agency to aggregate data across agencies.
This initiative will make it easier for the government to conduct business by reducing procurement lead times for agencies purchasing off the contract, through pre-negotiated pricing and pre-competed products and services.
FAS Commissioner Tom Sharpe weighs in:
“GSA is committed to working collaboratively with our partners at Microsoft resellers to reduce multiple contracts into a single set of agreements to save money and streamline the purchasing process for government agencies. Saving time and money is essential.“
SmartBUY Large Publisher Key Facts
- The SmartBUY Large Publisher Blanket Purchase Agreements are expected to save the government 15-20 percent off regular commercial prices for software.
- The federal government spends about $6 billion annually on all software products and related services.
- This program will reduce the federal government’s total cost of ownership of Microsoft software and services.
- SmartBUY Large Publisher will be the first GSA Blanket Purchase Agreements to include Microsoft software and services.
- The RFQ requests resellers for reduced, bulk pricing that is reflective of the government’s spend and purchase volume for the following products:
- Microsoft System Software
- Microsoft Application Software
- Microsoft Enterprise Software
- Microsoft Online Subscriptions
- Microsoft Premier Support Services