About the Great Lakes Region
The Great Lakes Region is committed to providing superior workplaces, expert solutions, acquisition plans, and management services – at best value – to help federal agencies serve the public more effectively.
In support of our customers' goals in 2013*, GSA's Great Lakes Region:
- Managed 1,041 properties, totaling 35.8 million square feet of space; these include 55 historic buildings, 11 land ports of entry (border stations), 42 buildings with ENERGY STAR® designations, and 18 Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED® ) rated buildings.
- Maintained a collection of 95 pieces of fine art and 29 installed Art in Architecture works.
- Operated a fleet of 15,031 vehicles, 10,889 of which use alternative fuels.
- Outleased 90,069 square feet of vacant space to private businesses and the general public via 76 different lease agreements; these outleases added $2.71 million to the Federal Buildings Fund for use on building upkeep in 2013.
- Awarded 61% of its total regional contracting dollars to small businesses.
- Recorded a tenant satisfaction rating of 70% "more than satisfied" or above (a rating of four or higher on a five-point scale) on the 2013 GSA Tenant Satisfaction Survey.
- Recycled 4,600 tons of waste in 2013, generating $260,000 in revenue, avoiding $425,000 in shipping/disposal costs, and diverting 60% of its waste from landfills.
- Donated nearly $66 million worth of excess and surplus property to federal and state agencies in 2013.
*Source: 2014 Statistical Card for the GSA Great Lakes Region.