Office of Innovative Technologies
The Office of Innovative Technologies focuses on initiatives that enable agencies to deliver effective and efficient services to citizens.
FedRAMP- Federal Risk and Authorization Management Program
Cloud computing solutions allow for faster processing and more elasticity in computing in an on demand, more efficient platform. However, incorporating cloud computing into the federal government has proven difficult. A major issue to cloud adoption has been the redundant nature of security assessments.
The solution to this challenge is the Federal Risk and Authorization Management Program, or FedRAMP. FedRAMPis a government-wide program that provides a standardized approach to security assessment, authorization, and continuous monitoring for cloud products and services. This approach uses a "do once, use many times" framework that will lower the financial, staff, and time resources currently going into conducting redundant agency security assessments. FedRAMP is the result of close collaboration with cybersecurity and cloud experts from GSA, NIST, DHS, DOD, NSA, OMB, the Federal CIO Council and its working groups, as well as private industry.
- Increases re-use of existing security assessments across agencies
- Saves significant cost, time and resources – do once, use many times
- Improves real-time security visibility
- Supports risk-based security management
- Provides transparency between government and cloud service providers (CSPs)
- Improves trustworthiness, reliability, consistency, and quality of the Federal security authorization process
|View full size||View full size|
FCCX- Federal Cloud Credential Exchange
The Federal Cloud Credential Exchange (FCCX) is an innovative government-wide program that allows citizens to access and use online federal services without the need for multiple user IDs or passwords. Citizens can leverage existing credentials they may already have to conduct business with the government. This approach saves citizens time, streamlines access to services, and improves the overall customer experience. The Office of Innovative Technologies serves as the Program Management Office for this initiative.
- Removes sign-up barriers for citizens
- Allows citizen to use the same credential for interactions with multiple agencies
- Improves user experience for citizens when interacting with government
- Preserves and improve user privacy
- Reduces credential management costs for service providers
- Reduces administrative burden and costs for agencies
- Reduces credentialing and integration complexities
The Office of Innovative Technologies created and maintains cloud.cio.gov, a centralized source of information regarding cloud computing in government. Agencies and citizens can learn about cloud computing in government, including implementation, acquisition, management, and security information. Cloud.cio.gov also houses official FedRAMP content, including all of the process and template documentation agencies and industry need to participate in and comply with FedRAMP.