Sale of Plum Island, New York
Plum Island is an 840-acre island located approximately 1.5 miles off the northeast tip of Orient Point, Long Island, New York. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS), in cooperation with the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), operates the Plum Island Animal Disease Center (PIADC) on the island. Plum Island is formerly the home of the U.S. Army's Fort Terry and was transferred to the USDA in 1954 to establish a research facility for foot-and-mouth disease.
In 2003, Plum Island was transferred to DHS. PIADC is comprised of buildings, industrial facilities and equipment, roadways, utilities, specialized facilities, easements, and rights of way. Additional assets on Plum Island include natural undeveloped land, the Plum Island Lighthouse constructed in 1869, and buildings and structures associated with the former Fort Terry. DHS also owns and operates transportation assets and a 9.5-acre facility to support PIADC at Orient Point, New York which includes buildings, utilities, and ferry docking facilities.
National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA)
GSA and DHS, as Joint Lead Agencies, have completed an Environmental Impact Statement in order to satisfy their responsibilities under the National Environmental Policy Act. EPA Region 2 and U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service have participated as Cooperating Agencies in the NEPA process as defined by 40 CFR 1501.6.
Below you will find pertinent documents pertaining to the Sale of Plum Island, New York NEPA compliance.
Environmental Impact Statement
- Notice of Intent [PDF - 61.09 KB]
- Draft Environmental Impact Statement [PDF - 11.96 MB]
- Final Environmental Impact Statement [PDF - 14.75 MB]
- Record of Decision [PDF - 1.20 MB]
EIS Public Meetings
- Display Posters [PDF - 7.33 MB] / Information Boards [PDF - 2.77 MB]
- Presentation [PPTX - 2.56 MB]
- Scoping Report [PDF - 135.67 KB]
- Appendix A: Announcements [PDF - 1.47 MB]
- Appendix B: Mailing List [PDF - 35.53 KB]
- Appendix C: Scoping Meeting Materials [PDF - 11.72 MB]
- Appendix D: Scoping Meetings Court Reporting Record [PDF - 7.75 MB]
- Appendix E: Scoping Comment Cards [PDF - 691.34 KB]
- Appendix F: Other Scoping Comments [PDF - 11.48 MB]
- Appendix G: List of Comment Submitters [PDF - 33.44 KB]
Draft EIS Public Meeting
- Display Posters [PDF - 13.29 MB] / Information Boards [PDF - 76.30 KB]
- Presentation [PPTX - 822.56 KB]