Skip to main content

Personal Property for Reuse and Sale

Personal Property refers to tangible items ranging from common products, such as office equipment and furniture, to specialized apparatuses, including scientific devices and heavy machinery.

GSA's Office of Personal Property Management helps federal agencies dispose of personal property that is no longer needed. At the same time, it helps other federal agencies and state, local, and public organizations acquire these items.

The public can purchase personal property that is not needed by federal agencies or by state and local organizations.

Government regulations mandate that federal agencies consider acquiring excess personal property first, before purchasing new items. Each year, this approach saves the taxpayers hundreds of millions of dollars.


GSA helps federal agencies dispose of personal property that is more than they need. After internal screening, GSA facilitates the transfer of excess property from one federal agency to another. GSA also helps federal agencies find and obtain this property. 

Property acquired from another federal agency does not require payment beyond shipping and transportation costs in most cases.



State and local governments, nonprofit organizations, and public agencies can obtain surplus personal property that is no longer needed by federal agencies.


The public can buy surplus personal property that is not needed by either federal agencies or by state and local organizations. The public can bid on most of the property at GSA AuctionsSM.


For information on federal real property assets and disposal, visit Real Property Disposal. For personal property, additional useful links include National Utilization Officers and State Agencies for Surplus Property.


The shortcut for this page is

Personal Property Management Contacts

GSA Personal Property Management Offices

GSA Area Property Officers

Federal Agency National Utilization Officers

State Agencies for Surplus Property

E-Tools for Agencies

Liz Themelis
Director, Child Care Division
(440) 546-5491

Contact the Child Care National Office

Contact a Regional Child Care Coordinator

E-Tools for Citizens

104: Child Care Centers
7,950: Children cared for daily
5,123: Federal children enrolled
95%: NAEYC accredited child care centers
95%: Let's Move Child Care Recognized
: Eco- Healthy Child Care endorsed
1,378: Families receive tuition assistance

Read the 2014 Annual Profile

How do I...


Excess,Surplus,Personal,Property,Disposal, reuse,sale,federal,state,local