Opportunities for Small Businesses
The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act presents many opportunities for small businesses to do business with the government. GSA moved very quickly to award contracts and get construction projects off the ground. Learn more about Recovery Act opportunities.
GSA received more than $5.5 billion in appropriations under the Recovery Act to convert federal buildings into high-performance green buildings, and build new, energy-efficient federal buildings, courthouses, and land ports of entry.
Opportunities for small businesses range from GSA’s large, ground-up construction projects that will require businesses from all construction trades, to small projects to replace single systems within buildings, including work on HVAC, windows, roofs, etc.
GSA identified 254 projects to fund with the Recovery Act. These projects are spread all over the country, with at least one in every state. Find opportunities in your area [Excel - 140KB].
GSA is working with companies from all construction-related fields to perform building operations and maintenance, building renovations, building modernizations, and space alterations. Work includes improvements to lobbies, restrooms, windows, lighting, mechanical systems, and roofs.
Businesses interested in working on these projects at both a prime and subcontractor level should:
- Visit FedBizOpps often and register there to be notified of newly posted opportunities;
- Browse the GSA Subcontracting Directory for opportunities to subcontract with existing GSA prime contractors;
- Visit the GSA forecast of contracting opportunities to see upcoming contract awards for both Recovery Act and non-Recovery Act projects.
Businesses who have never done business with GSA before should:
- See GSA’s instructions for businesses without GSA contracts to learn how to get started;
- Check the GSA small business calendar of events for upcoming workshops and forums on how to do business with GSA.
Contact your regional Office of Small Business Utilization with any questions or concerns.
If you are successful in obtaining a Recovery Act contract and would like to share your story, please send us an email with a description of the project, location, dollar value, and summary of your experience to email@example.com.
The shortcut to this page is www.gsa.gov/smallbusinessrecovery.