Open Government Records Management
This information about how GSA handles records management is being made available to help promote transparency about our processes as part of President Barack Obama's Open Government Initiative.
We require all employees to adhere to the requirements of the Federal Records Management Handbook and The GSA Records Disposition Schedule. These documents, established by and collaborated between GSA and the National Archives and Records Administration, provide instructions and best practices for:
- promoting proper maintenance of permanent records;
- categorizing and indexing temporary records for timely disposition;
- minimizing duplicate records;
- finding and using records in all media, including electronic; and
- transferring records of permanent historical or archival value to the National Archives.
GSA Orders on Records Management
CIO P 1820.1 GSA Records Maintenance and Disposition System
CIO 2160.2B GSA Electronic Messaging and Related Services