Skip to main content

Selling to the Federal Government: First Steps

DUNS Number

Begin by having your business obtain a Data Universal Numbering System or DUNS, number. The DUNS Number is assigned by Dun & Bradstreet, Inc. (D&B) to identify unique business entities.

CCR Registration

Your business must obtain this unique DUNS number before registering with the Central Contractor Registration (CCR), CCR is the primary registrant database for the U.S. Federal Government. CCR collects, validates, stores and disseminates data in support of agency acquisition missions. Your business must be registered in CCR prior to the award of a contract, basic agreement, basic ordering agreement, or blanket purchase agreement. 

ORCA: Centralized References and Certifications

If the solicitation your business is responding to requires that you have an active registration in CCR, you must also be registered in the Online Representations and Certifications Application (ORCA). RCA is a centralized, "one-stop shop" data base for representation and certifications.Using ORCA, a contractor can enter their representations and certifications information once for use on all federal contracts.

Once you've registered your small business, be sure to download and review our "Doing Business with GSA" brochure; it is a comprehensive guide about contracting with GSA.